Guangxi Roads Development
The Guangxi Roads Development Project (the Project), in the southwestern part of Guangxi, covered part of the Kunming-Nanning-Hanoi section of the GMS economic corridor (Eastern Corridor). This major artery for the regional transport network connects with the National Trunk Highway System (NTHS) corridor 40 linking Chongqing Municipality via Guiyang, in Guizhou Province, and Nanning to Zhanjiang, in Guangdong Province, and to the NTHS corridor 75 from Kunming to Hengyang in Hunan Province. The Project was designed to promote pro-poor economic growth in Guangxi by facilitating trade and attracting investment to the project area. It was also intended to reduce poverty by improving living standards and creating employment in the poor counties and townships in the project area. Moreover, as traffic along a key section of National Highway (NH) 322 was becoming more congested and exceeding the road-s capacity, the Project was expected to relieve traffic congestion and bottlenecks on a parallel section of NH322, and improve access to growth centers for poor communities by building link roads and upgrading local roads. The Project, in sum, was to (i) provide additional transport capacity, ease congestion, reduce traffic accidents and vehicle emissions, and lower vehicle operating costs; (ii) give the poor rural population in the transport corridor better access to market and job opportunities; and (iii) facilitate regional cooperation in the GMS by improving access from Guangxi and other PRC provinces to Viet Nam, and linking the road network of the GMS. The Project was classified as an economic growth project with poverty reduction as a secondary objective.
Progress (as of March 2021)Project closed
|Contact Name||Giraud, Patrick C.|
|Organization||Asian Development Bank|
News and Multimedia
- GDP increased by 15.8% per year from 2001 to 2005, and foreign direct investment by 28% from 2004 to 2005. Per capita GDP for the rural population increased by 13.6% in Fusui, from CNY3,407 in 2006 to CNY3,870 in 2007, by 13.2% to CNY3,006 in Ningming, and by 22.2% to CNY3,912 in Chongzuo. The rate of poverty in the project area decreased from 40% in 2002 to 20% in 2010.
- Removed serious congestion on NH 322 between Nanning and Viet Nam border (Youyiguan) through the construction of a four-lane, controlled-access expressway and class I road. Traffic capacity has increased in the project area by 48%, from an annual average daily traffic of 12,000 passenger car units in 2000 to 29,750 in 2005, after the opening of Nanning-Youyiguan expressway.
- Travel time reduced by 3 hours for most townships and villages. Travel time from Nanning to Youyiguan shortened from 5 hours to 2 hours. Reduced vehicle costs and freight and passenger charges in the project area. Bus fares and freight charges reduced by 15% after the opening of the expressway. There is now one bus leaving Chongzuo for Nanning from every 2 hours to every 40 minutes.
- Road accidents along NH322 reduced from 390 in 2003 to 301 in 2006, and fatalities from 53 to 31.
- Increased volume and higher proportions of high-value agricultural products marketed.Production of high-value sugarcane increased by 1.3% to 311 kilograms per person in 2006. Vehicle ownership in Chongzuo increased by 2.9% to 29,411 from 2005 to 2006.