Policy Dialogue on Low-carbon Agriculture
Date: 22 February 2023
Hybrid event (Vientiane, Lao PDR and online)
The Greater Mekong Subregion has been undergoing diverse and rapid agricultural transformation over the last decades and contributing majorly to the global food supply. However, the agricultural sector is also a significant source of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, making it essential for the region to reduce GHG emissions and mitigate short- and long-term impacts of climate change and environmental trade-offs in transitioning agricultural systems.
The Policy Dialogue on Low-carbon Agriculture in the GMS Region aims to bring together government officials, agriculture and climate experts, and other stakeholders to discuss the challenges, measures and opportunities presented by climate change, and to identify policy strategies to reduce GHG emissions in the agricultural sector. This may include promoting sustainable farming practices, such as agroforestry, conservation agriculture, and precision agriculture, and supporting the adoption of low-carbon technologies, such as renewable energy and precision irrigation.
The policy dialogue aims to be an ongoing process that requires collaboration and cooperation among all stakeholders to find solutions that will help reduce GHG emissions in the agricultural sector and support the long-term sustainability and resilience of farming communities in the region.
This policy dialogue on low-carbon agriculture will focus on:
- Exchange of experiences and actions between the GMS countries
- Policy gaps and needs to fulfil the carbon reduction targets in the agriculture sector
- Presentations and discussion about opportunities and technologies in the low-carbon agriculture sector, and how policy development can incentivize and support implication of lasting solutions.
- To introduce findings from the policy assessment on low-carbon agriculture
- To give GMS country representatives an opportunity to present their views and measures on mitigating carbon emission from the agriculture sector
- To present examples of new ways forward in the GMS region and abroad
Target participants for the policy dialogue include WGE focal points and coordinators, and representatives of relevant government departments and ministries from each country, besides key development partners, and representatives from civil society, academia, and the private sector. The policy dialogue will gather 20-30 participants.
Regarding the program of the Policy Dialogue please contact:
Mr. Søren Hansen, CCESP thematic lead for Theme 2 at email@example.com
Regarding the CCESP Program, please contact:
Ms. Qudsia Sadiq at firstname.lastname@example.org
GMS CCESP Policy Dialogue Low-carbon Agriculture – Agenda
About the GMS Climate Change and Environmental Sustainability Program (CCESP)
The technical assistance (TA) GMS Climate Change and Environmental Sustainability Program (CCESP), was approved by ADB to support the implementation of the Strategic Framework and Action Plan. This is the third and current phase of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Core Environment Program (CEP). The CCESP Program, to be implemented in 202-2025, targets three outputs, each covering two themes:
- Climate and disaster resilience enhanced (Theme 1), and low carbon transitions facilitated (Theme 2)
- Climate-smart landscapes promoted (Theme 3), and environmental quality enhanced (Theme 4)
- Green technologies (Theme 5) and financing instruments demonstrated (Theme 6)
The above six themes were prioritized by the Working Group on Environment (WGE) during the 24th GMS WGE Annual Meeting in 2019. The TA aims to help develop climate-friendly projects in the GMS regional investment framework (RIF) through enhancing capacities and enabling policies, demonstrating innovative activities, and catalyzing private sector opportunities.
Last Updated: 19 January 2023