Trade and Investments
The scoping study, “Enhancing Collaboration in Trade and Investment Under the GMS Program” recommended the establishment of a GMS Trade and Investment Task Force to implement and deliver various short and long-term interventions and coordinate with other working groups and forums of the GMS Program.
Establishing the Task Force on Trade and Investment
The Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Economic Cooperation Program Strategic Framework 2030 (GMS 2030) mandates the GMS Program to continue its efforts to develop trade and investment facilitation in the subregion and beyond. Specifically, GMS 2030 states that “new sector working groups or taskforces will be formed to support the critical areas such as trade and investment facilitation.” This mandate was reconfirmed by the GMS leaders at the 7th Summit of Leaders held on 9 September 2021.
The Task Force will work with economic agencies to assess and develop a clear action plan for the immediate term based on the recommendations of the scoping study. The pillars of work for this action plan may include (i) digitalization, (ii) improving the business climate, and (iii) capacity-building support to maximize free trade agreements (FTAs).
Click on the images below to know more
swipe to view more
Diversifying trade and investment
Attracting foreign investment
Developing micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises
Capacity Building to Maximize Free Trade Agreements
- Identify priority recommendations and interventions for implementation, with a supporting work plan or timeline.
- Undertake multi-stakeholder consultations to tailor recommendations to each GMS members’ circumstance.
- Identify key deliverables, road maps, and desired outcomes.
- Identify and coordinate resources required and, if necessary, conduct capacity needs assessment.
- Facilitate the implementation of priority recommendations and interventions according to the agreed work plan, in close coordination with existing GMS working groups.