Twenty-Second Meeting of the GMS Subregional Transport Forum
The Twenty-Second Meeting of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Subregional Transport Forum (STF-22) was held in Mandalay, Myanmar on 21–22 June 2018. The theme for the forum was “Committed to Moving Forward along the Path of the New GMS Transport Strategy.” It discussed ways toward achieving the thrusts and priorities set in the GMS Transport Sector Strategy 2030 as well as other important transport sector issues.
The specific objectives of the forum were to
- discuss the implications on the GMS transport sector of the Ha Noi Action Plan 2018–2022, which was adopted by the 6th GMS Summit, and review the supporting pipeline of transport projects in the GMS Regional Investment Framework 2022;
- review the findings and recommendations on the development of the GMS economic corridors;
- review the progress of work on priority rail links identified under the Greater Mekong Railway Association;
- review the progress of the Cross-Border Transport Agreement “Early Harvest” implementation; and
- review the status of road safety in GMS countries
The forum was chaired by Win Khant, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Transport and Communications of Myanmar and co-chaired by Hiroaki Yamaguchi, Director of the Southeast Asia Department's Transport and Communications Division at the Asian Development Bank. Deputy Minister Kyaw Myo, Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Transport and Communications of Myanmar delivered the opening remarks and welcomed the participants.